Sunday, April 10, 2005

The Mean Entry on Names

I've always wondered about the players' choice of in-game names. (Some names would be changed to protect the innocent, i.e., me.**)

Some are straightforward enough, e.g. TheOne, lordjustin, Fahlyndra (Nice name, this one. Nice person too.).

Then we get names like RyanOng and JennyLee. What the... ?

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand why anyone would use their real name for a game character. No, I am not just any Ryan; I am RyanOng. That's Mr Ong to you, get it? (I made that up.)

I asked a few of the players with names like these: Is that your real name?

I got the answer yes.

So with one of them, I poked my nose further in, and asked why.

She replied that she just didn't bother to think that much for a name (words to that effect).

I followed up: So, if you had a second character, would it be named XXXXXXLee2?

She didn't reply anymore. I mentioned this incident to someone before, and he commented that I showed sarcasm with that XXXXXX2 question. Pffft, I was genuinely curious; I did not mean to be sarcastic. It came out the wrong way, I guess.

Anyway, I mentioned yesterday that the each of the 4 classes (Soldier, Muse, Hawker, and Dealer) branches out into 2 advanced classes.

Well, I guess people like FutureSoldier and SupportMuse forgot about that, or maybe they intend to quit once they reach that stage? (Now this is intended sarcasm.)

It seems ironic to me to be called FutureSoldier, when at lvl 10, you can become a soldier, and when at lvl 70, you can become a Knight or Champ. The same goes for anyone else who has the class as part of his/her name.

However, the kind of names that really irk me are names like CuteErica, PrincessLolly, or SexyBabe.

Are they really cute, or sexy, or princessy in real life? Or do they wish that they were? Or have they been told often that they are? Or are they hoping to gain more friends and benefits when people know them to be girls?

It boggles my mind; it really does. Boggles my mind, and fills me with disgust sometimes.

One last special mention when it comes to names: FallenMage. Self-explanatory. Are you snickering yet?

**Note: Not all names are changed..


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home